Here is what the before looked like:
We wanted to have it resemble the top enough so it wouldn't look like they didn't belong together.
So my husband rounded the base and added corner round to the front corners. He also routed the center support to match the top.
We thought about purchasing unfinished doors but decided to make them. I realized that I might want to add fabric to the doors so we really just needed to make a frame.
I loved the finish on the top before paint but I knew I would not be able to match the base to the top so I had no choice but to paint it. However I gave the top accent moulding and the doors just a wash of french linen to tone down the stain but still appreciate it. I love the way it came out and the way it contrasts the Graphite chalk paint (Annie Sloan). I also applied a french linen wash (after a coat of clear wax) to highlight the detailed areas of the piece. Just a little distressing on some of the edges and a couple of coats of wax finished the piece. Just in time for Christmas!
Now the chairs need to be painted. I'm thinking french linen for them.
I chose a neutral french toile fabric for the doors. My husband did a great job pleating and stapling!
Some of the details. The hardware on the bottom doors were in my stash from an another piece of furniture. They were a perfect match in their antique brass finish.
I think this is definitely one of my favorite pieces we've done. I was a little nervous about the dark paint but I really LOVE this look! I think it has a french country farmhouse feel to it. Exactly the look I'm going for in this room.
I hope this inspires you to find new life in a furniture piece of your own. Let me know if you have any questions regarding technique.
Now I just need a little sideboard piece for the opposite side of the room....the projects never end!
If he didn't do such a beautiful job, I wouldn't ask!